Plan better, prepare better, adventure better.
Spontaneous and unplanned trips can sometimes be the most memorable. But usually, a little preparation leads to better travel experiences. We have tips on everything from what to pack and how to travel more responsibly to the best ways to keep entertained during long road trips.
Use the Options Below to Refine Your Search
If you love national parks, you might be thinking, “What is there to do in a state without one?!” Well, below we’ve compiled a list of our favorite outdoor adventures in these states!
Visiting Yellowstone in winter can be an experience of a lifetime. This national park wows any time of the year, but during the winter, it really is something special. Sparse crowds, snow-blanketed landscapes, and incredible wildlife sightings make winter one of the best times to visit Yellowstone National Park.
However, some extra planning is required to visit Yellowstone in winter. Due to many of the park’s roads being closed, the logistics of a winter visit are slightly more complex than for a summer visit. Check out this list of things to do when visiting Yellowstone in winter along with some other recommendations and helpful tips.
If you’re living in my home city and you’re undecided if nature is your thing, or even if you’re visiting The Windy City and you want to pass on the horns and train rumblings for a while, start your day at this state park that offers hiking, a fort, beautiful canyons, and a WATERFALL!
The 2017-2018 ski season was a season unlike any other. In the Airstream, Isaac and I visited 19 ski resorts in six states and two countries. We drove over 5,000 miles and spent 130 nights winter camping in temps often below freezing, all while working from the road.
Sleeping outside isn’t for everyone, but if you’re willing to give it a shot and not sure where to start, we’ve put together this comprehensive guide to camping for beginners. For starters, know that you don’t need all of the best gear to start out with, you just need the basics.
What to bring on a hike is an important question. Hiking should always be taken seriously, whether it’s a 2-mile jaunt or a 12-mile haul. In warm-weather areas, like Arizona, it’s common for folks to need rescue simply because they weren’t prepared with enough water. In colder, more mountainous areas folks often need rescue on “easy hikes” after taking a wrong turn or not having the right layers for unexpected weather.
Coloradoans like myself are seeking the outdoors more than ever. An unprecedented number of people are playing outside, occupying trails, and seeking fresh air. Though I have always considered myself sociable and courteous on trails, having to step off constantly and let others pass by while friendly trail banter is murmured under face coverings is somewhat tiring. Fortunately, our neighbor to the north is not only full of stunning countryside, but is also the least populated state in the USA. Just over the Colorado border, Carbon County, Wyoming has all the travel amenities one could need, plus a vast outdoor landscape to explore.
Choosing what to do when visiting a national park is not an easy task. There are just so many options! While most travelers just drive in, take some pictures at the lookouts, and might stay one to two nights in the park, we recommend exploring each national park on a deeper level. Learn about the geologic or natural history of the area or experience unique outdoor activities in the park. To be qualified as a national park by the National Park Service, only 3% of the entire park area could be used for infrastructure, such as highways, trails, campsites, visitor centers, lodges etc., while the other 97% are protected areas. There are at least over 100 things we could list when visiting a national park, however, we will only highlight the absolute must-do’s.
Tired of the same old Grand Canyon tourist attractions? If this isn’t your first Grand Canyon rodeo, or if you just want to experience the Grand Canyon with a little more excitement, these activities might be just what you’re looking for.